3-Dimensional Quartz Phenolic
3-Dimensional Quartz Phenolic (3DQP)  is a phenolic-based material composed of a quartz cloth material woven into a seamless sock shape cloth impregnated with a phenolic resin and hot-pressed. When cured, 3DQP can be machined in the same way as metals and is tough and fire-resistant. 3DQP is used for the manufacture of Nuclear Weapon Re-entry vehicles (RV).
A licence to manufacture 3DQP in the US was acquired and production was undertaken by AVCO, one of the two suppliers of US RV's, the other being General Electric. The Chevaline ReB as well as subsequent UK ReBs were manufactured by AVCO, now part of Textron.
- Chevaline Re-entry Body
- Nuclear weapons and the United Kingdom
- UGM-27 Polaris
- Resolution class submarine
- Atmospheric reentry
- Public Record Office, London. TNA PREM 15-1359
- Public Record Office, London. TNA CAB 168/27
- Public Record Office, London. TNA DEFE 24/896
- Various declassified files at the Public Record Office, Kew.
- Numerous authors and papers published as Proceedings of a Royal Aeronautical Society Symposium held Oct 2004. Published as ISBN 1-85768-109-6.
|40x30px||This material-related article is a stub. You can help ssf by expanding it.|
|This article related to weaponry is a stub. You can help ssf by expanding it.|