Paracetamol/metoclopramide hydrochloride is an oral fixed dose combination prescription medication containing the analgesic paracetamol (500 mg) and the anti-emetic metoclopramide hydrochloride (5 mg). Formulated as a tablet and as sachets of a water-soluble powder, it is sold under the trade name Paramax by Sanofi-Synthelabo, and in Switzerland as Migraeflux MCP, in Australia it is sold as Meteclomax and Anagraine.
The combination is used to treat the symptoms of migraine, both to relieve headache (the analgesic) and to treat associated nausea and vomiting (the antiemetic). In addition to its direct anti-emetic effect metoclopramide also stimulates gastric emptying (prokinetic), which is often delayed during migraine attacks, and accelerates the absorption of paracetamol. However the improvement in paracetamol absorption has been questioned.
Whilst the individual component drugs may be prescribed individually, as a combination, it is only available as the branded Paramax preparation in the UK.. In the UK there are only two other combination analgesics with antiemetics (i.e., anti-nausea) products available: MigraMax (aspirin with metoclopramide) and the over-the-counter drug Migraleve (paracetamol and codeine for analgesia, with buclizine as the antiemetic). The role for these products is between just the use of simple analgesics (paracetamol or ibuprofen) and the triptan class of drugs; although the latter are not options during pregnancy. In the elderly although triptans are generally avoided, so too are antiemetics such as metoclopramide due to higher risks of side effects. In Australia and New Zealand, the combination is available without prescription from pharmacies. 
Cite error: Invalid
parameter "group" is allowed only.
<references />, or
<references group="..." />
|40px||This analgesic-related article is a stub. You can help ssf by expanding it.|
- Electronic Medicines Compendium: Paramax Tablets, Paramax Sachets (accessed 22 April 2008)
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Citation/CS1/Suggestions' not found. - Full text at PMC: 6849786
Subsequent response from Beecham Research Laboratories:
*Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Citation/CS1/Suggestions' not found. - Full text at PMC: 6639847
- Matts SG, Boston PF (1983). "Paracetamol plus metoclopramide ('Paramax') as an adjunct analgesic in the treatment of arthritis". Curr Med Res Opin. 8 (8): 547–52. doi:10.1185/03007998309109796. PMID 6653133.
- "Paramax (paracetamol, metoclopramide)". NetDoctor.co.uk. 05.03.2008. Retrieved 2008-04-22. Check date values in:
- "18.104.22.168 Treatment of acute migraine". British National Formulary (55 ed.). March 2008. pp. p.239.
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Citation/CS1/Suggestions' not found.
- Sarchielli P, Mancini ML, Calabresi P (2006). "Practical considerations for the treatment of elderly patients with migraine". Drugs Aging. 23 (6): 461–89. doi:10.2165/00002512-200623060-00003. PMID 16872231.