|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|[[Regulation of therapeutic goods |Template:Engvar data]]|
|Biological half-life||18 to 159 days|
|ATC code||L01XX23 (WHO)|
|Molar mass||320.04 g/mol[[Script error: No such module "String".]]|
Mitotane, or o,p'-DDD, is an antineoplastic medication used in the treatment of adrenocortical carcinoma. It is an isomer of DDD and is a derivative of DDT. Its main use is in those patients who have persistent disease despite surgical resection, those who are not surgical candidates, or those who have metastatic disease.
It has been produced by Bristol Myers Squibb SpA but it is marketed as an orphan drug due to the small number of patients in need of it. A 2007 study of 177 patients shows a significant increase in the recurrence-free interval after radical surgery followed by Mitotane when compared to surgery alone.
Mitotane alters steroid peripheral metabolism, directly suppresses the adrenal cortex and alters cortisone metabolism leading to hypocortisolism. Side effects as reported by Schteinberg et al. include anorexia and nausea (88%), diarrhea (38%), vomiting (23%), decreased memory and ability to concentrate (50%), rash (23%), gynecomastia (50%), arthralgia (19%), and leukopenia (7%).
Its trade name is Lysodren.
Mitotane is also used to treat pituitary-dependent Cushing's syndrome in canines. The medication is used in the controlled destruction of adrenal tissue, leading to a decrease in cortisol production.
Cite error: Invalid
parameter "group" is allowed only.
<references />, or
<references group="..." />
- V. P. Komissarenko1, I. S. Chelnakova and A. S. Mikosha. “Effect of o,p-dichlorodiphenyldichloroethane and perthane in vitro on glutathione reductase activity in the adrenals of dogs and guinea pigs.”
|40px||This antineoplastic or immunomodulatory drug article is a stub. You can help ssf by expanding it.|
- Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Citation/CS1/Suggestions' not found.
- Information from PubChem
- Terzolo M, Angeli A, Fassnacht M, Daffara F, Tauchmanova L, Conton PA, Rossetto R, Buci L, Sperone P, Grossrubatscher E, Reimondo G, Bollito E, Papotti M, Saeger W, Hahner S, Koschker AC, Arvat E, Ambrosi B, Loli P, Lombardi G, Mannelli M, Bruzzi P, Mantero F, Allolio B, Dogliotti L, Berruti A. "Adjuvant mitotane treatment for adrenocortical carcinoma". N Engl J Med. 2007 Jun 7;356(23):2372-80.
- Schteinberg DE, Motazedi A, NoonanRA, Thompson NW. "Treatment of Adrenal Carcinomas". Arch.Surg. (1982) 117:1142-9.
- Canine Cushing’s Syndrome: Diagnosis and Treatment