|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Molar mass||286.391 g/mol[[Script error: No such module "String".]]|
|Script error: No such module "collapsible list".|
BW-723C86 is a tryptamine derivative drug which acts as a 5-HT2B receptor agonist. It has anxiolytic effects in animal studies, and is also used for investigating the function of the 5-HT2B receptor in a range of other tissues.
BW-723C86 is actually a mixed 5-HT2B / 5-HT2C agonist, and while it has good selectivity over 5-HT2A and other serotonin receptor subtypes, it has only around 3x selectivity for 2B over 2C and so is much less selective than most research ligands, but as of 2009 no superior 5-HT2B agonist is yet available. Highly selective 5-HT2C antagonists are available however, and so a combination of BW-723C86 with a selective 5-HT2C antagonist allows 5-HT2B mediated responses to be studied in isolation.
Cite error: Invalid
parameter "group" is allowed only.
<references />, or
<references group="..." />
|This pharmacology-related article is a stub. You can help ssf by expanding it.|
- Kennett GA, Bright F, Trail B, Baxter GS, Blackburn TP. Effects of the 5-HT2B receptor agonist, BW 723C86, on three rat models of anxiety. British Journal of Pharmacology. 1996 Apr;117(7):1443-8. PMID 8730737
- Kennett GA, Trail B, Bright F. Anxiolytic-like actions of BW 723C86 in the rat Vogel conflict test are 5-HT2B receptor mediated. Neuropharmacology. 1998 Dec;37(12):1603-10. PMID 9886683
- Knowles ID, Ramage AG. Evidence that activation of central 5-HT(2B) receptors causes renal sympathoexcitation in anaesthetized rats. British Journal of Pharmacology. 2000 Jan;129(1):177-83. PMID 10694218
- Günther S, Maroteaux L, Schwarzacher SW. Endogenous 5-HT2B receptor activation regulates neonatal respiratory activity in vitro. Journal of Neurobiology. 2006 Aug;66(9):949-61. PMID 16758492
- Ryan BK, Anwyl R, Rowan MJ. 5-HT2 receptor-mediated reversal of the inhibition of hippocampal long-term potentiation by acute inescapable stress. Neuropharmacology. 2008 Aug;55(2):175-82. PMID 18538800